Sunday, March 10, 2013


Personal Review
            When I began the first chapter of The Great Gatsby, I figured that it would just be another boring book on the school’s reading list requirements. However, as I began to reads more, I ended up thoroughly enjoying this book. The plot line was complex and kept the book very interesting, and the characters all brought different assets to the story. For example, Jordan Baker was arrogant and somewhat rude, while her love interest, Nick Carraway, appeared to be the exact opposite. What intrigued me the most was Fitzgerald’s use of imagery and other rhetorical strategies. For example, on the last page of the book when he speaks of the green light at Daisy’s house as a symbol of Gatsby’s hope for the continuation of the past in his present, I was able to connect one of the major themes of the story to that example. I found the imagery powerful and it enabled me to almost feel like I was part of the story. The only thing that I did not like about this book was that I felt it was too short. I feel like Gatsby’s murder occurred simply as a way for Fitzgerald to conveniently end the book. Also, I do not think that Gatsby’s past was explained as well as it could have been. It appeared that he had many secrets, and I feel like not many of them were revealed in the end. Overall, this is my favorite book that I have read for a school assignment, and I cannot wait to see the movie when it comes out in theaters! 

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar feeling about starting the reading as well. I think you should vary your sentence openings rather than repeating the same opening multiple times ("For example"). Other than that, good job.

    ReplyDelete